Moderator Control Panel ]

6285 tuners disappear/freeze

6285 tuners disappear/freeze

Postby Kim » Thu May 15, 2014 7:12 pm

I'm having a problem with my TBS6285.
Initially, all four tuners can be seen and work well.
But randomly, after several hours of working, one or more of the tuners fail to work. I'm not sure what triggers this, if anything.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behaviour?
Could it be the drivers - v1.0.0.6?
Could I have a faulty card?
Is there something I can run to test the card's tuners?

WinXP SP3 - 32 bit, v1.0.0.6 drivers.
Last edited by Kim on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kim

Re: 6285 tuners disappear

Postby Kim » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:56 am

Are there any diagnostics I can run to check this card?
There seems to be a few people with problems and no response from TBS.
Kim

Postby i0zjh02 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:22 pm

I had same problem were Tuner A disappeared, and was in the process of returning my card under warranty for a swapout. However after I turned off my PVR server (running SageTV) and did a cold reboot, it appeared again and I havent had the issue since. But I see also that someone else had a similar problem (tuner D in his case). I'm pretty sure its not HW related but a driver issue (I'm also on 1.0.6) but for me it hasnt occurred since. I also have a suspicion it was related to a Java problem (not sure why) so laso worth making sure java is installed and running properly and not corrupted
i0zjh02

Postby Kim » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestions i0zjh02. My machine has the bare minimum XP, I don't think it has Java at all.

BTW, I am using DVB-T.
I have found that when a tuner disappears, I can restart my PVR software (sometimes needs an "end task" on a thread - probably due to a "locked" tuner) and everything is well again. It can run happily for several days, but eventually and randomly, I'll get a problem. So it will be interesting to see if you do get a problem - could take a while to show up. Please report back if you see a problem or if you don't see one in e.g. 2 weeks.
Like you, I also think this is a driver issue. I just wish TBS would solve this so that I get a rock-solid tuner card that I can rely on.
[I've never had any issues like this with my Nebula tuner.]

TBS - please look at your DVB-T2/T drivers and test thoroughly again over a long period of time.
I notice the DVB-C drivers are at 1.0.0.8.
Kim

Postby i0zjh02 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi, its actually been a few months since I had the problem and hasn't happened since as far as I'm aware (as I've rebooted the PC a couple of times since)
i0zjh02

Postby Kim » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. Glad yours are working well.
I sometimes leave the computer on for days and sometimes turn it off altogether. Cold starts and PVR software re-starts always bring the tuners back.

I looked at some info for the tuners when frozen/locked-up:
PCR is running as expected
PTS for video and audio is not running and shows 0000000000000000.
Kim

Postby Kiwi » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:44 am

I'm not sure if my problem is related to your problem here, but I shall describe it.

Somehow, after a few days of recording (occurs roughly once a week or so), the tuner will suddenly fail to receive signal from the antenna, though the tuner does not disappear. But after disabling and reenabling the tuner, the reception of the signal is back to normal.

I shall monitor the issue for further until I have more information on my side.
TBS6285 is a bad card and TBS is a bad service company.

The CEO of TBS had better contact me to understand what happened.
Kiwi

Postby zerosum » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi,

I see there have no replies to this since August, but here's my two penny's worth.

I had the same problem with the tuner card vanishing from device manager.

I'd initially built my new HTPC in the office connect to a Dell 23" monitor via HDMI and a set of external speakers, via 3.5mm jack, and everything worked perfectly - install, update, shutdown, restart, sleep, anything - the card was always there and worked faultlessly

My problems started as soon as I'd decided everything was good to go and moved it to the living room. I connected it to the Sony LCD TV, via HDMI again, but with the audio over HDMI as well, instead of external speakers. and it worked to start with, but as soon as I shutdown the card vanished from device manager and restarting or warm or cold rebooting didn't help. The only way I was able to get it to reappear was to wipe the machine and reinstall Windows and start afresh. Then round we went as soon as the drivers for the card were installed and I restarted or shutdown (or indeed put the machine to sleep) the card would vanish.

The solution I found - well, so far it’s been all good for a week now, was to move the card to an alternate PCIe slot. In my case taking it out of the slot controlled by the chipset and into a slot controlled by the CPU.

Oh and, yes, I’d changed PCIe Link State Power Management to ‘Off’ :-)

Hope this might be of some help to someone out there.

Equipment used:

Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming5
i5 4690T
TBS 6285 Quad Tuner
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
Plextor M6e M.2 PCI-E 128GB
Pioneer BDC-207DBK DVD-R
Seagate ST4000VM000 4TB Video Hdd
zerosum

Re: 6285 tuners disappear/freeze

Postby Kim » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:37 am

Would the new driver "TBS6285 DVB-T2/T Windows Driver V1.0.0.7" help with this problem?
Kim

Re: 6285 tuners disappear/freeze

Postby Kiwi » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:25 pm

I'm still having the same issue. After recording about 5 hours of video the entire 4 tuners stop recording.
TBS6285 is a bad card and TBS is a bad service company.

The CEO of TBS had better contact me to understand what happened.
Kiwi

Next

Return to Windows