Moderator Control Panel ]

kernel 3.0.0.1 on debian wheezy(testing)

kernel 3.0.0.1 on debian wheezy(testing)

Postby sami8519 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:50 am

Can we expect a release for this kernel soon? Not integrating the driver in linux kernel is really making our life difficult! :(
sami8519

Re: kernel 3.0.0.1 on debian wheezy(testing)

Postby dewolff » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:26 pm

I also wait for a 3.0.1 release!
As there become more low power amd boards with integrated accelerated video, which is only supported by the 3.0 kernel, availability of those drivers is important for the owners of such boards.
dewolff

Postby hda » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:12 pm

Here is an excerpt from an email I received from the the euro support team when I emailed them about the new kernel.

hi, we're planning major update for 3.0 - for the 3.0 release we will sync our package to the latest V4L, i.e. switched to newer remote control infrastructure as it was mentioned in the forum. however, i think 3.0 update is at least one month away, because we want to make drivers for all our new products before the update - today we released Linux drivers for the new TBS 6922, 8922, 5922 and 6928. so, as you can see our support of Linux continue to be dedicated as always and i believe 3.0 will resolve many problems, because of which we currently keep the V4L base in our package older and thus make the support better.

This was sent to me on the 17th of August. So Hopefully in a few weeks we should have a much improved driver.
hda

Postby sami8519 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:55 pm

I am not happy with the tbs linux driver development. They should make their drivers part of linux kernel just like other
manufacturers do, Period. We are always lagging behind the latest kernel for 1-2 months and when
it eventually comes a new kernel is released so actually we are never in sync with the latest kernel and always afraid from upgrading!
Why all this pain to use a hardware that we bought? I will never buy another tbs product until their drivers become free source
and encourage all linux enthusiasts to do the same because linux is all about freedom.
sami8519

Postby okbet » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:32 am

sami8519 Wrote:I am not happy with the tbs linux driver development. They should make their drivers part of linux kernel just like other
manufacturers do, Period. We are always lagging behind the latest kernel for 1-2 months and when
it eventually comes a new kernel is released so actually we are never in sync with the latest kernel and always afraid from upgrading!
Why all this pain to use a hardware that we bought? I will never buy another tbs product until their drivers become free source
and encourage all linux enthusiasts to do the same because linux is all about freedom.

Hi Sami8519, i understand your feeling. We wish to satisfy every TBS customer.Actually there is only a very small part of our Linux driver is not open source and we are providing constant update with Linux kernel update. That part of driver contains information about the chipset that we can't disclose according to the NDA we signed with chipset provider e.g NXP. Furthermore If we public all the source code, we will be exposed to those clone makers and very soon TBS clone will be flooding the market. Consequently TBS will lose profit which is essential for constant support and development. I guess that could be the same reason why other company like Hauppauge they don't even provide Linux support.
okbet

Postby Meindert » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:28 pm

The new driver, from 111013, is not working on my debian system with 3.0 linux-kernel. This is already posted a couple of months ago, on the previous driver, but still no success with the new one. I'm disappointed.

Regards,
Meindert
Meindert

Return to Linux