Moderator Control Panel ]

Card video output bug

Card video output bug

Postby frednet » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:29 am

I'm using this card with MythTV on Mythbuntu 11.10 and every now and then the tuner displays garbage on screen almost as though the signal is corrupt. A re-boot fixes it and it is ok for a few weeks afterwards but it keeps re-occuring. Does anyone else experience this?
frednet

Re: Card video output bug

Postby SergioDanielG » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:57 am

Whe you say "display garbage on screen", you mean something like:
If yes, this is a poor signal problem, maybe caused by storm, clouds or rain. (It's not the cause in this screen capture)

Best regards
SergioDanielG

Postby scooter1556 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:36 pm

I have also noticed a similar bug to this but only on HD channels so far. Occasionally when I start a HD stream playing all i get is green blocks and choppy audio. Signal is reported as being fine and if I stop the stream and restart it, usually it works fine. Sometimes is takes a few attempts. I wonder if this is possibly frequency locking issue or a stream issue. I have found when doing recordings that usually after 3 minutes or so the stream sorts itself out so luckily recordings generally work but obviously the start of the recording is just green blocks.
scooter1556

Postby SergioDanielG » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:49 am

HD channels require good signal, more than SD channels. I think in theses cases are all problems that It's can resolve with better signal/quality.
There are somethings to consider with signals and garbage on screen, not only signal strength. FEC for example, where FEC 3/4 is better than FEC 7/8, why? because three of four package are repeated to prevent lost package.

Best regards.
SergioDanielG

Postby delboy711 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:40 am

I have seen this problem as well. Either the tuner is unable to lock onto the channel at all, or else it locks on but the video is heavily corrupted.

This has been happening since I started using the combined driver which coincided with my regions digital switchover when the analogue signal was witched off and the digital signal power increased. I was wondering if the signal might now be **too** strong.

The card remains in this state until the computer is rebooted after which it works perfectly again.
delboy711

Postby CyberSimian » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:20 pm

delboy711 Wrote:I was wondering if the signal might now be **too** strong.

If you think that this is a serious possibility (are you near the transmitter?), you could try one of these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/variable-aerial ... tor-223051

I have a different sort of attenuator (6db to 36db of attenuation, in 6db steps), and a couple of years ago I experimented with different attenuation levels on my Humax PVR. With no attenuation, the signal strength on the Humax scale was about 65%. But it required 24-30db of attenuation before the signal strength dropped to the point where picture breakup occurred (about 25%-30% strength). Of course, to avoid breakup under all atmospheric conditions, you would want a signal strength much higher than 25-30%.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
CyberSimian

Postby frednet » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:59 am

I have exactly the same problem with corruption. It's fine after a reboot but quickly deteriorates. My tv is on the same aerial amp and doesn't suffer. I suspect it's a software bug, I'm updating to v120827 but I bet it doesn't fix it. I wish I'd never bought this card, it's an absolute dog and I'm sick of rebuilding modules everytime Ubuntu do a kernel upgrade.
frednet

Return to Linux