Moderator Control Panel ]

MOI+ upgrade TVHeadend - Binary provided

MOI+ upgrade TVHeadend - Binary provided

Postby costan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:56 am

Hello,

after some painful nights I was able to cross-compile a binary suitable for the MOI+ from the last TVHeadend GIT (HTS Tvheadend 3.9.2509~ga50f74c-dirty)

It seems to work very well, I had some small issues (mostly due to my poor cabling capabilities) and a lot less than with the original provided TVHeadend.

It never stopped working since almost a week (but I performed some manual restart to change cables, arrange stuff and so on, so the actual uninterrupted runtime is couple of days).

With an additional disk both recording and timeshifting work as expected, I did not dig on timeshift that much, but I tested it couple of time and it always worked.

I'm providing a download URL for the new binary, please read instructions and disclaimer.
The new version can work leaving the old one on the box, so a revert to the original can be done without a factory reset or an upgrade procedure. Read below for further info.

This is a rather advanced procedure for an average Windows world user. For a Linux guy or a sysadmin should be rather easy, so revert to your Linux guru o Linux User Group for advice if not confortable with it.

DISCLAIMER
---------------

NO WARRANTY. NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR MISSING DATA, REBOOTS, BURNED UNITS, UNFAITHFUL WIVES, SCREAMING CHILDREN OR WHATEVER THIS SOFTWARE IS GOING TO DRIVE YOU THRU.

INSTRUCTIONS
------------------

Download the binary. URL at the bottom.

Copy on the box in /tmp directory

cd to /usr/local/

Extract the binary from /tmp (tar xvjf /tmp/<filename.tar.bz2>)

You'll find a new binary on /usr/local/bin/tvheadend-new and a new folder in /usr/local/share/tvheadend-new

Now the tricky part, to avoid overwriting the original version.

Stop tvheadend from the webpage (the initial TBS presentation page, Tuning Setting -> None).

From the linux shell, perform the following:

cd /
cp -a .hts .hts.save (saving the config for later restore, just in case)
cd /usr/local/bin
mv tvheadend tvheadend-orig (rename original binary to -orig)
ln -s tvheadend-new tvheadend (create a symlink to the new one)
cd /usr/local/share
mv tvheadend tvheadend-orig (rename the original data dir to -orig)
ln -s tvheadend-new tvheadend (create a symlink to the new one)

Start tvheadend from the webpage as before.

Enjoy.

Please bear in mind that the configuration is upgraded after the first start, so it's not guaranteed to work with the previous one.

Rollback to original version
----------------------------------

If you want to retain both version, simply point the two symlinks to the version you want to use (BOTH OF THEM). Please also bear in mind that you need to either remove /.hts (blank tvheadend config) or provide the old config if you downgrade. Always stop the program from the webinterface before changing version!

If you want to stick to old version only and remove the new one, just remove the tvheadend-new binary on /usr/local/bin and tvheadend-new folder on /usr/local/share. Remove the symlinks and rename the -orig file/folder to the tvheadend with no suffix. I leave to the reader the actual commands.

Download pointer:

http://www.costan.org/moiplus/README.txt
costan

Re: MOI+ upgrade TVHeadend - Binary provided

Postby vladi2010 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:11 pm

hi, is your version realy newer then the Original ?

Oryginal = HTS Tvheadend 3.9.636
Your = HTS Tvheadend 3.9.2509

so your number is lower

??

Best regrades
Vladi
vladi2010

Postby vpeter » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:19 pm

2509 > 636
You can help me buy new work notebook with paypal donation, after 8 years it's time to upgrade.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=FLVT7ACMYAPS6
vpeter

Postby vladi2010 » Sat May 16, 2015 5:58 am

HI costan. thank you !!!!

your verson works perfectly sience one Week !!! :-)

its realy much metter than the Original :)

Better EPG
Better Recording
Better Status (SNR and Signal Strenght)

Better Configuration :)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
vladi2010

Postby boman » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:02 pm

@Costan: Any pointers on how you compiled this? I've tried myself with buildroot but had troubles with glibc version and some other stuff.
I've had some troubles before with tvheadend (on a "regular" server) which leads me to believe a newer version would fix the problems I'm experiencing at the moment.

Regards
boman

Postby aurimelis » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:42 am

it will work with moi pro?
aurimelis

Postby costan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:14 am

aurimelis Wrote:it will work with moi pro?

I don't own a MOI PRO. Probably I can try to compile for PRO as well, but I don't have the box so I cannot get the necessary information for creating the compiling environment.
costan

Postby costan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:17 am

boman Wrote:@Costan: Any pointers on how you compiled this? I've tried myself with buildroot but had troubles with glibc version and some other stuff.
I've had some troubles before with tvheadend (on a "regular" server) which leads me to believe a newer version would fix the problems I'm experiencing at the moment.

Regards

I'm planning to do this since months, not so much spare time. I need to cope with too much things and probably easiest thing to do is to provide a big tar.gz of my build environment.

Nevertheless, it would require significant effort to be useful to other. Even myself have issue remembering all the tweaks I've made, and mostly rely on shell history when in doubt.

If I get some time off work and family duties I'll try to provide.
costan

Postby costan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:18 am

vladi2010 Wrote:hi, is your version realy newer then the Original ?

Oryginal = HTS Tvheadend 3.9.636
Your = HTS Tvheadend 3.9.2509

so your number is lower

??

Best regrades
Vladi

Yes 636<2509.

There are other comments saying is working better..
costan

Postby costan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:38 am

NEW VERSION: 4.0.6

Instruction almost the same (just replace -new with -4.0.6).

Pointer:

http://www.costan.org/moiplus/README-4.0.6.txt
costan

Next

Return to MOI+