Moderator Control Panel ]

Laptop specific problem

Laptop specific problem

Postby jonesmtbs » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:22 pm

HI,
I have a very strange issue with the Qbox 2 and could not find any other reference to it or anything similar.

I am currently setting up a 7MCE system to replace the soon to be defunct TIVO system and the satellite solution I have chosen is a Qbox 2 to be used with a DVB-T device which will be integrated with windows 7 via DVBLINK TVSOURCE from DVBLOGIC.

This all works wonderfully well on my test box, ACER Revo 3600, with the exception of the HD channels which stutter and thrash the machine to 100%. This is to be expected has the machine is a single core 1.6 GHz machine. The Revo runs windows 7 ultimate, 32 bit.

Now everything is proven I needed a faster machine to go live on and decided to buy a dual core laptop. This is an Acer Aspire 5741Z that is running Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit.

I ran through the same install process starting with the driver install from the CD and then installed the CD copy of TVSOURCE. The drivers installed perfectly, or at least it seemed that way, and TVSOURCE picks up the tuner correctly. I can then add it and assign Astra 2 has the headend. The issue is that when I perform a scan, no channels are found. I have tried installing the DVB dream and the TBSviewer with the same result. The device is detected but the channels scan finds nothing. It is as if it can see the card correctly but can actually use it. I tried the latest driver form the download but it gave the same results.

I have tried installing the same 32 bit version of windows ultimate that I use on the Revo but this gives exactly the same results.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the Qbox or the drivers as everything works perfectly on the Revo Net top. The only difference I see is the 64 Bit architecture on the laptop but installing the 32 Bit should have ruled that out.

Any ideas, can the laptop be faulty given it works perfectly with the DVB-T USB device?

The only difference between the USB devices is that the DVB-T is powered by the laptop only where the Qbox is externally powered.

Thanks in advance

Mark
jonesmtbs

Re: Laptop specific problem

Postby jw300 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:37 pm

Does the scan use the virtual tuner? If so, have you tried selecting the QBox itself as the tuner device?
jw300

Re: Laptop specific problem

Postby jonesmtbs » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:55 pm

Yes it is the Qbox tuner selected but thanks for the reply.

Incidently, if I load Progdvb up I see the 4 Dlink tuners and the Qbox one. Again selecting the qbox one results in a complete scan failure on all transponders.

Bottom line is that this all works fine on my Revo and an install on the faster laptop all goes sweetly including driver loading but when I try and use the Qbox tuner I basically cant although the Hauppage ministick performs perfectly on both machines.

The only difference between the Qbox and the ministick I can see is that the ministick draws power from the laptop, where the qbox is externally powered and according to the device manager does not make an attempt to draw any power. It is the same on all 3 usb inputs also.

Acer won't want to know as this is the only USB device I have any issue with and obviously they blame the Qbox altough I am sure that this is not the case.
jonesmtbs

Return to Windows