Moderator Control Panel ]

Installing latest version of XBMC

Installing latest version of XBMC

Postby alanb2121 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:50 pm

Hi,

What is the command we run via SSH if we want to install the latest XBMC build?

Thanks
alanb2121

Re: Installing latest version of XBMC

Postby Dippo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi Alan,

From my understanding it is not as simple as just installing the latest XBMC. The Matrix requires a special build due to it's graphics card (i.MX6). You can apparently compile yourself from http://github.com/xbmc-imx6. However I have no idea what this involves. I read elsewhere on this site that Steven is close to releasing a new MatrixTV version so it may be best to wait for that....
Hope that helped a bit
Dippo

Postby alanb2121 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:07 pm

Thanks for that, yes I think i'll wait if compiling is the only option. The current build likes to crash a lot. I'm hoping that is due to the beta nature of the XBMC version
alanb2121

Postby PeterB » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:29 pm

I've managed to borrow a Windows machine in order to install the latest firmware (1005?), in the hope that it would resolve some of the issues I've been having (such as the settings not surviving a power cycle). What a mistake! 1005 is unusable - I simply cannot establish a cec connection - my TV doesn't even recognise the Matrix as supporting cec. cec had been working reasonably well with the previous firmware. Another problem introduced is that it is no longer possible to perform a software reboot from the XBMC web interface. Where can I get a copy of the older firmware so that I can revert to what I had.

One old problem which has not been resolved is that I have to keep the Matrix permanently powered on, or unplug the hdmi if I power it off, otherwise it prevents cec working between my other components.

One problem I noted yesterday, with the older firmware, was that the video and audio were going out of sync, together with a stuttering/blocky picture. A quick Ffd/Rwd would fix the issue for another 10-15 minutes by which time it was qoing out of sync again. I haven't spent enough time with v1005 to see whether this issue is resolved.

I've given up for now and reconnected my old Fusion box with OpenELEC.

My Raspberry Pis do a better job than this Matrix.
PeterB

Postby diabloss » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:36 pm

development is ongoing guys .
you gonna need a bit of patience for a strong and stable firmware for Matrix.
Openelec for example will be an pretty excellent alternative.

As i said just have patience and good things will happen with this Matrix box.
diabloss

Postby PeterB » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:57 pm

So, to confirm ... you are agreeing that the Matrix is not actually market-ready yet?

It's disappointing that a newer release is less usable than the previous release - this would suggest that development and release procedures are seriously lacking!

Okay, I will wait (what else can I do?) and I would certainly prefer an OpenELEC build.

I fail to see how any new firmware release is going to alter the behaviour of the box when it is powered off - hanging the cec line when powered off is not acceptable. I have to believe that a hardware fix will be necessary in order to address this.

In the meanwhile, I will treat the device as an unusual, and very expensive, paperweight.
PeterB

Postby diabloss » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:06 pm

there are 4 different software for Matrix .

Ubuntu , MatrixTV , Android , OpenPCtv and soon Openelec.

Ubuntu and android performing quite fine which makes this product market ready.

For example i recall when Raspberry hit the market and the software sources were poor also the development but nobody was complaining .
Enthusiasts just jumped on work and as you can see results are ok for PI.
Same will be with the Matrix too , the community is working for improvment.
Openelec builds will start to become available for testing from first week on May most probable.
diabloss

Return to General discussion