Moderator Control Panel ]

Major pixellation issue with HD channels in MCE 7

Major pixellation issue with HD channels in MCE 7

Postby SlingShotUK » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi there,

I got my 6920 PCIE card yesterday and got it installed with the latest drivers - 24th December 2010.

Manually configured MCE in Windows 7 x64 to use Astra 28.5 and the SD channels seem to be working nicely. However, the HD channels (especially BBC HD) suffer from major pixellation issues. It starts bad and then just gets worse.

Now, to test this I installed DVBDream and this does not have any issues playing the HD channels perfectly.

I don't think this is an issue with your great card or drivers but I was wondering if you knew what could be causing this problem.

I think it may be to do with my graphics card - an Nvidia 8800GTX. I only mention this as someone else on another forum had this issue running the same card and Windows 7 MCE x64.

I've tried to find ways to get MCE to use other codecs etc (the Cyberlink PowerDVD ones are being used in DVBDream) but no luck so far.

Thanks in advance,
James.
SlingShotUK

Re: Major pixellation issue with HD channels in MCE 7

Postby cody » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:39 am

hi James,

as far as i know BBC HD uses MBAFF, which probably Microsoft video codecs that Windows 7 Media Center is using don't support. so, i would suggest the same that you already tried to change the codecs that Windows 7 Media Center uses. i didn't try to that lately, but soon after Windows 7 was released small tool to do that was developed:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146910

so, you can give it a shot if you haven't already tried it.

--cody
cody

Re: Major pixellation issue with HD channels in MCE 7

Postby SlingShotUK » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Hey there Cody,

Thanks for getting back to me and for the link. I think the modifications they are talking about on doom9 are just for media playback not for live tv unfortunately. It looks like it's possible to change the live tv decoding codec but it's quite some registry hacking. :(

I'm not sure it is the MS codec though as last night for a test I tried changing DVBDream to use the Microsoft DTV/DVD Decoder and it was able to decode BBC HD perfectly.

It's some very bizarre problem in MCE only it seems. Going to have to do some more hacking to see what I can find out I think.
SlingShotUK

Return to Windows