Moderator Control Panel ]

tbs8920 hybrid sleep problem

tbs8920 hybrid sleep problem

Postby britishboy67 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:19 pm

i have a gf8100vm-m5 m/board and a tbs 8920 s2 card everytime i or my computer in windows 7 goes into sleep or hybrid sleep the pc wont wake up properly.

if i use bios and choose s1 instead of s3, i can sucessfully do a normal sleep and a normal hibernate but everytime i try do a hybrid sleep (s3 in bios) the pc wont restart. i have to turn the pc off by the power supply ( on the back of the case ) then turn it on and it will restart ok and do the hibernate part of ther hybrid sleep and take me back to where it went into hybrid sleep. i have tried windows 7 64 & 32 bit.

anybody have any ideas why it wont do a hybrid sleep, all other cards are fine. this happens even if the only card in the pc is the tbs8920. is it a card fault , faulty batch ... in all other respects the card functions perfectly. drivers install ok and i can watch satellite in windows media center or the tbs viewer software.

the card is in a pci v2.3 slot ( is this an issue ?? ) all other cards were romoved and used the on board graphics card and not sure of the date of the bios ( will leave more info on this next time, but i assume the bios is a 2009 as the clock always defaults to 2009 if do a bios reset )

anybody have any clues to sort this issuse ????

simon
britishboy67

Re: tbs8920 hybrid sleep problem

Postby cody » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:42 am

Simon, it seems to me it's some hardware incompatibility between the PCI bridge that TBS 8920 uses (CX23883) and your particular motherboard (or its PCI slots, BIOS, etc), because on all 4 computers i have there is no problem to go to S3 and resumes from it with TBS 8920 card installed.
cody

Postby britishboy67 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:23 am

i have 2 satellite cards the tbs 8920 and a kworld dvbs 100. both cards use the cx23883-39 chip, the kworld card doesnt have any issues with sleep mode.

i had the kworld before i purchased the tbs8920, i purchased the tbs 8920 to upgrade to an s2 card. this makes me believe there is an issue with the tbs 8920 card.

is it possible that 1 cx23883 card can work , but another card wont .... personally i dont think so. this is why i be;lieve my hardware is not at fault

best regards

simon
britishboy67

Postby cody » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:27 pm

Simon, i understand and answer to you here too:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2

but just to clarify it again - the driver doesn't care if the computer resumes from S1 or S3 and the same initialization is done in both cases. so, because of that there is no doubt (at least to me) that what is going wrong is on hardware level. however, if another card using the same CX23883-39 chip can resume correctly from S3 on the same system i guess it's related to how the chip is implemented on the board. if you wish you can send back the card to us for investigating if it's some isolated fault in your card that could cause the issues, because that's only explanation that seems reasonable based on what we currently know.
cody

Postby britishboy67 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:42 pm

ok what do i need to do to at least have the card checked by yourselves.

the card was not originally purchsed by me. it was purchased as a gift, so i dont know if it was new or second hand. i know it was purchased online, but it came with no missing parts so can only assume as to where it was purchased.

i dont mind paying for tests to be done as long as the price is not too high.

i just need to know how to send it to you to be tested at my own cost (postage and testing fees, whatever applies) and know what the costs are for doing this.

best regards simon
britishboy67

Postby britishboy67 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:37 pm

ok i think i fixed it

from what i can see the cd drivers for the motherboard were not fully compliant with tbs hardware. i was reading the 6980 forums and saw some nvidia chipset motherboards were having issues with tbs cards.

i have downloaded new motherboard drivers from the nvidia site. installed them as they were newer drivers and i have put my card into s3 sleep mode and woke it up sucessfully 5 times now.

i will monitor it over the next few days and see what happens, but from the 3 tests i have just done its looking good.

i am now using nforce 15.49 motherboard drivers from

http://www.nvidia.com/object/hdmi_audio_xp_vista_win7_1.00.00.59.html

these drivers maybe of use to others that are having issues tbs cards and motherboards with an nvidia chipset. they are compatible with nforce series 5 to nforce series 9 motherboards. please see the website for more details.

best regards

simon
britishboy67

Postby cody » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:57 am

Simon, thank you for sharing that useful information. i'm sure it will be of help to other users in case they hit the same trouble.

regards,
cody
cody

Return to Windows