Moderator Control Panel ]

DiSEqC switching problem

DiSEqC switching problem

Postby Aser » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:30 pm

Hi,
I can't get my TBS 8920 (version 23) to control my switch properly. I have tried using dvb dream, dvb viewer, progdvb and fast satfinder. None of these programs will control the switch.

In progrdvb, if I have diseqc disabled, the satellite on port 1 (hotbird) will be active. If I have diseqc enabled, only the satellite on port 2 (astra 19.2) is active and it doesn't change if I try to use a different satellite.

I am using Windows 7 32bit with driver 1.0.5.4

Please can you help me solve this issue.
Last edited by Aser on Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aser

Re: DiSEqC switching problem

Postby cody » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:24 am

hi, did you install special device modules for DVBDream and ProgDVB that are found on the installation CD of your TBS 8920 card?
cody

Postby Aser » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:14 am

For progrdvb, I've tried the device file from the cd and one from the progdvb forum, and neither made any difference. I also tried the tbs.ebda file from the website and that didn't seem to change anything.

For dvbdream, I tried using the file from the cd, but that just broke everything and gave errors saying "access violation".

I probably should've mentioned that it's a 4 port switch I'm trying to control.
Aser

Postby cody » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:02 pm

ok, it seems he have now two questions to answer: why DVBDream can't work on your computer when device module with DiSEqC support for TBS hardware is installed? however, this question is not so important at least until we answer the other question first - if DiSeqC is working in your setup with your TBS 8920 card or not?

so, let's try completely different application - AltDVB with the new BDA module for it:

http://code.google.com/p/altbda2/downloads/list

i want to rule out if there is some incompatibility between your DiSEqC switch and TBS 8920 or it's wrong setting in the DVB application like device module that doesn't support DiSEqC for TBS hardware, etc.

BTW, did you read the similar forum thread here where i managed to help both customers with similar problem:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39

maybe, it's can help you to figure out what's wrong in your current setup.
cody

Postby Aser » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:23 pm

Ok, so I installed altdvb with the BDA module from the link you provided and I get the same issue.

I opened up my Diseqc switch and started probing with a multimeter. I found that when i first start altdvb, the switch is connected to port active on port 1. If i send any raw diseqc command from E0 10 38 F0 to E0 10 38 F7 then port 2 becomes active. If I send any command from E0 10 38 F8 to E0 10 38 FF then port 4 becomes active. If I then close altdvb and re open it, port 1 becomes active again.

I tried connecting the switch to my cheap set top box and testing it in the same way and it switches perfectly.

I have tried removing the card and putting it in a different computer and found the same issues.

Is this just an incompatibility between my particular switch and the TBS 8920. Should I just get a new switch?
Aser

Postby cody » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:29 am

Aser Wrote:If i send any raw diseqc command from E0 10 38 F0 to E0 10 38 F7 then port 2 becomes active. If I send any command from E0 10 38 F8 to E0 10 38 FF then port 4 becomes active.

so, at least 22 kHz tone is working and diseqc commands actually make some difference.

Aser Wrote:I tried connecting the switch to my cheap set top box and testing it in the same way and it switches perfectly.

can you see what diseqc commands your set-top-box sends?

Aser Wrote:Is this just an incompatibility between my particular switch and the TBS 8920. Should I just get a new switch?

if you read all posts in the thread i mentioned:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39

you already know that as far as the application sends correct diseqc commands then the driver for the TBS card just pass them to the hardware and all 22 kHz tone modulation for sending the command is done in the hardware. so, it seems to me like some incompatibility issue on hardware level, but i believe we can be more confident about that is you confirmed that AltDVB and your set-top-box send the same diseqc commands.
cody

Return to Windows