Moderator Control Panel ]

Slow keyboard response - Ubuntu 10.04

Slow keyboard response - Ubuntu 10.04

Postby sheddenizen » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:26 am

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04/Lucid Lynx on a Samsung R20 laptop (kernel version 2.6.32-26-generic.) I have built and installed the Q box s2 driver along with the firmware, but have this annoying problem where the moment a Q Box is plugged in the keyboard response slows right down with a second or more of lag, even longer if I plug two in. Running scan on Astra 1 detects loads of channels so the drivers seem to be working otherwise.

I tried configuring Xorg not to treat the IR receiver as a keyboard, but that had no effect on the lag. top doesn't report excessive CPU utilization. The lag also seems to affect remote connections over ssh as well.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
sheddenizen

Re: Slow keyboard response - Ubuntu 10.04

Postby cody » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:51 am

it's a known problem with some motherboard chipsets, you can read details here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=74&p=490

so, if i have to elaborate how to exactly workaround the problem:

open in text editor "linux-tbs-all/linux/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/tbs-qboxs2.c", find the following lines:

Code: Select All Code
   .rc_key_map = tbsqboxs2_rc_keys,
   .rc_key_map_size = ARRAY_SIZE(tbsqboxs2_rc_keys),
   .rc_interval = 150,
   .rc_query = tbsqboxs2_rc_query,

and delete them, then save the file and re-build and re-install the driver.
cody

Postby amd » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:34 pm

INFO:

Slow keyboard on amd Athlon64 3000+, ati radeon x1200 on board, micro atx AMDR690V CHIPSET.
used systems: newer (ubuntu 64bit Maverick Meerka) and older (ubuntu 32bit Hardy Heron)

the box works on both systems.

problems:
1. if the box connectet by usb, the keyboard (usb or PS/2) gets slow (is it a problem of IR-reciever qbox locatet as keyboard ?).
mouse (usb or PS/2) works fine
2. maybe a nother problem?
switching between cannels takes 20 sec. in this time my kaffeine is hanging. not so if i use a usb-dvbt stick. stick and box sending mpeg4 streams? so shoud take the same time?

bay the way i not try to change/kill the lines at >>linux-tbs-all/linux/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/tbs-qboxs2.c<< which you recommended.

if i do, i give a message what happens

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2h later i'm back and i tried what was recommended by cody.
keyboard is fine! switching between cannels is fine! Thanks to cody

once again:
HDcannels on my PC amd Athlon64 3000+ cannot work. it is to slow. cpu works with 100%.
amd

Postby cody » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:46 am

it's interesting that the issue happens almost exclusively with AMD chipsets - i have no proof , but it seems something in Linux kernel regarding AMD USB controller is wrong. when i investigated the problem before - if on the same system change only motherboard with another chipset and everything else is the same - RAM, video card, etc and even the Linux installation is the same then the problem is gone.

BTW, Athlon64 3000+ with Radeon X1200, i.e. there is no HD H.264 acceleration from the video card is not likely to be powerful enough to decode H.264 HD channel from a satellite (DVB-S2 signal).
cody

Postby MadFellow » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:32 am

Hi!

I have the same problem. I am using an AMD 780G chipset. I tried to solve the problem by deleting the mentioned lines in linux-tbs-all/linux/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/tbs-qboxs2.c but I still have a lag for entries via ssh.

If I disable USB Keyboard Support in Bios my Keyboard has no lag anymore, but ssh still has lag...

Thanks for your help in advance!
MadFellow

Return to Linux