Moderator Control Panel ]

Installation and WMC problems

Installation and WMC problems

Postby MGilbert » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:11 pm

I have just installed a TBS 6982 in my Media PC. This is an ASUS P5GC-MX/1333 motherboard running Windows 7 with an NVIDIA graphics card connected to my TV. The dish as a standard sky-type oval dish with a Black Ultra dual LNB. Additional power to the TBS 6982 is by an internal 6-way (6-wire) connector designated for PCIe use coming from the PSU with 3 yellow and 3 black leads.

I have several problems:

1. The software install on Windows 7 did not follow the procedure outlined in the included manual (V3.3). Windows did not prompt for driver install so I simply loaded the driver from the CD. There was only one entry in the device list for the card, not 2 as stated in the manual (no TS Capture driver). I presume these are simpky differences between tuners.

2. On loading TBS viewer and going to options/hardware, no device is listed in the window, and pressing the scan button does not show the device. However, Windows Media Centre, ProgDVB and NextPVR can all see 2 tuners. I checked for updates for TBS Viewer and there are none. I found a PBS 6982 driver update to 1.0.0.1 and installed this, but still TBS Viewer could not find the tuners. I also tried this on a fresh install of Windows to no avail.

3. Windows Media Centre does not have an option to configure Freesat only, and lists only Astra 2A,B & D and Eurobird for 28.2/28.5 East. Many of the channels listed in the WMC guide do not work (for example BBC TWO HD) even though it is showing a good signal when scanned. WMC reports no signal for the channel. Some channels do work OK (for example BBC ONE HD). I tried doing scans for all the Freesat transponders listed here(tedious) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fr ... _28%C2%B0E, but still many of the channels don't work on WMC. I have done a scan on ProgDVB and on NextPVR which seem to work better, but I want to use WMC if possible as I have a lot of media already stored there, and a PC and a remote that only works properly with WMC.

4. From time to time, I have noticed one or even once both tuners dropping out. While WMC was recording one channel, it was unable to tune a second channel for live viewing because it reported no available tuner. Also, on one occasion NextPVR listed both tuners as "stopped".

There are so many issues, I can't determine if this is a hardware problem or a software problem.

Please advise.
MGilbert

Re: Installation and WMC problems

Postby MGilbert » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:06 am

Please could someone from TBS respond to this. The last item is my main concern at this point because I cannot guarantee to have tuners available for recording, and the only way I can get both tuners back is to restart Windows every time I want to do a recording. This is unacceptable.
MGilbert

Return to Windows