Moderator Control Panel ]

No signal during channel change

No signal during channel change

Postby satelay » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:50 pm

My TBS 6981 will go into a "I don't want to tune any more" mode while changing the channels. This mostly happens when the old and new channels are different in some way (S1-S2 etc) and usually when they are on different transponders. The signal strength/quality indicators at the bottom of DVB Dream screen both go to zero and never come back if I leave it in that state. It will stay all day long stuck on that channel without tuning. In some cases, if I immediately go back to the channel which I had been watching a second ago, I discover that even that channel has gone away now, with signal indicator showing no signal. When I click on the name of the channel which showed zero signal one more time, sometimes the signal comes back (at 75%-85% strength and quality) and the channel starts playing normally again. Sometimes however, I have to try several other channels before one of them brings the signal back and at that time, I can go back and watch the channels which showed no signal a second ago.

Once tuned, I can always watch channels at high quality without any interruption. This indicates that the problem is not with the actual satellite signal but with the card during tuning process. I am not sure if it is related to the problem described in "No signal after resume from sleep" discussion. I did try all versions of the driver after 2.0.0.18 including the patch posted in steven's "New Progress about no signal.." topic and they all behave the same way. I run W7-64 and my motherboard is GA-880GMA-UD2H with F5 bios version.

I trust TBS support team will do their best to isolate and eliminate this problem
satelay

Re: No signal during channel change

Postby steven » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi satelay

sometimes the signal comes back (at 75%-85% strength and quality) and the channel starts playing normally again

from this maybe the signal is not very well,strength should be great than 90%,so maybe one time you can lock other time can not get lock.

Would you mind move your dish to let the strength more than 90%,and then try again.

Best wishes

steven
steven

Postby satelay » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Hi Steven, I can't do anything about the dish since it is not my own dish. I live in a building where they have the dish at the top of the building and distribute the signal to 100+ apartments. However, I do not understand why the signal strength should be a problem while I can watch a channel for hours without a single glitch and then I can't tune back to it, after briefly tuning out. Isn't 90% too high a signal strength to expect for proper tuning. Also, I have standalone tuner boxes which can always tune very consistently to these channels but my tuner card continuously having problems. I honestly think that the problem is with the driver, rather than the signal. Has this card/driver been tested with gigabyte motherboard under W7? I ask this question because I remember when I started a new topic in the past about BSOD problems with 8921 on W7, the response was that the driver was tested on W7 and there was no problem with it. But we later found out that problem was mostly (or only) showing up on gigabyte motherboards.
satelay

Postby steven » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:47 am

Hi satelay

Would you mind try to use this new driver to have a test.
http://hotfile.com/dl/130807702/1c93069 ... 3.rar.html
it is win7 64 bit version.
and send your test report here.

Thanks
steven

Postby satelay » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:46 am

Dear TBS support: problems with TBS 6981 not tuning during channel change is still there. I am now up to driver V2.0.1.5 and problems are still as I have described in my first post. I had given up on this thinking that this is possibly due to the weak signal on my satellite cable as you have suggested. However, recently I purchased a TBS 5922 card for my other machine. To my surprise, TBS 5922 works flawlessly on the same cable where 6981 has many problems. In fact, it shows even higher signal and quality levels. I can run both cards on the same machine and the difference between them is like day and night. This suggests that the problem is either a software or a hardware problem with the TBS 6981 and I am surprised that other people are not complaining about the same thing. I have had this problem for a long time and now that I can confirm that it is not with my setup but with the card, I would like this issue be resolved one way or another please. Thanks.
satelay

Postby aseke » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:20 am

Hi I have very similar issue in my TBS 6928 Card. However I have this problem only with Mediaportal. I don't have the same problem with DVB Dream.
aseke

Return to Windows