Moderator Control Panel ]

card stops working - freezes

card stops working - freezes

Postby kevin » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:45 pm

I have been struggling with this card, which I bought to replace a compro card, for around six months - it nearly works but.............

I thought there were two problems but it looks like they are really different manifestations of the same one. Most noticeable is the failure to record (I use MediaPortal) from standby. I blamed MP and submitted a report. I needed to get some more solid evidence so ended up putting the PC into standby on every advert while watching tv (annoys the family no end). After a while I noticed that some times there was a lock up very soon after resume - the card would select the channel start playing and then just froze. MP reported nothing but stopping then selecting another channel worked and I can then select the failing channel again.

I then realised that just leaving MP playing any channel from the TS card eventually failed - especially (only) the HD ones. Basically after a while the card just freezes. I have exited MP when it freezes and tried TBSVIEWER but that showed a blank screen - it just wouldn't tune (are there any long with this application). rebooting fixes it - surprise (not)

I have another pair of tuners (peak DVB-T usb). That works perfectly with MP

The good thing is that when working the picture quality is really good
kevin

Re: card stops working - freezes

Postby steven » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:29 am

Hi

You mean that when you wake up from standby ,you need to lock another channel then it is ok?About this problem
we have updated the driver,are you sure that you are use the latest driver?
http://www.tbsdtv.com/download/TBS6981/ ... 0.0.21.zip

Thanks
steven

Postby kevin » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:41 pm

yes I have updated to the latest driver.

Some further information . The problems may be related to having another card in the box - a problem I have seen and others have also reported a number of times
I replaced a Hauppauge PCI card soon after buying the TBS card as they would not coexist - the TBS card basically died/froze. I bought a peak dual usb stick and all appeared well. However I suspect with the peak receiver in place there is a small chance of interaction. To prove this I have removed the usb receiver. First impression is that all is well - I can use both channels on the TBS and switch channels at will. I am monitoring this and have set up a series of recording with sufficient time between each for MP to put the htpc to sleep. I will report back in the next few days.
kevin

Postby kevin » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:36 am

I have removed the possibly conflicting dvb-t card (peak usb) and set up a whole sequence of recordings separated by sufficient to cause standby before the next recordings. They all fired but only the first few really worked (i.e. the whole program was recorded). The later ones recorded but only the first part (small number of minutes). Looking at the MP log the recording was set up and ran to completion - but early in the recording MP reported " continuity error - bad signal?" . Unfortunately it looks like the card just stopped supplying data.

I have just set up a series of simple recordings (no overlaps, no conflicts). Unfortunately the first recording overlapped with me watching a HD channel. The channel being watched froze as if paused. The channel being recorded had already started recording but a few minutes in - as the live tv froze - the recording stopped. Any attempt to select a channel failed. So I rebooted and am allowing the recording to run.

I will report back to tomorrow
kevin

Postby kevin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:47 am

I am a little closer to the problem. It appears that once the card gets into the failing state it may allow recording but it then stops providing data after around 1min and 10secs. MP does not detect any problem but the recording is short - 1min 10sec.

I have now decided to stop the m/c going into standby and am repeating the test.
kevin

Postby steven » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:16 am

kevin Wrote:I am a little closer to the problem. It appears that once the card gets into the failing state it may allow recording but it then stops providing data after around 1min and 10secs. MP does not detect any problem but the recording is short - 1min 10sec.

I have now decided to stop the m/c going into standby and am repeating the test.

Hi kevin

Thanks for your test and your report information,we will have a check too.

Thanks
steven

Postby kevin » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:54 am

an interesting overnight test. I set the system up to record on and off all night but without the system suspending down between recordings. All appeared Ok - I got 7 recordings but number 8 broke it. The card just didn't tune -so the next 8 recordings failed.

The machine never switched off and was unused so it just looks like the card died. When I got home MP wouldn't tune any channel. I closed it and then tried TBSviewer - nothing (are there any logs for this application?). Selecting the channel list failed - vista reported the program was not responding but wouldn't close or let vista kill the process. it eventually stopped

So the problem appears to be card related which is worse if the system suspend/resumes a lot.

Basically this card is unusable in my system
kevin

Postby steven » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:01 am

Hi kevin

When you use TBS6981 do you have removed the Hauppauge PCI card ?

Thanks
steven

Postby kevin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:08 am

yes the Hauppauge has been removed soon after fitting the tbs6891 as the tbs6891 just wouldn't work with it installed - I replaced it with a USB DVB-T receiver (peak) which appeared to work. However since encountering the most recent problems that has also been removed. I have no other cards installed.

interestingly the fault appears to be exactly the same as when the hauppauge was fitted - card locks - but not as frequently

I just completed another recording test - worked quite well but eventually the card locked up. Rebooted and used the TBSviewer switching channels repeatedly, ok for around 15 minutes then it locked up...... I un-installed then reinstalled the tbs card (not physically) and it worked. I am now trying to was

[odd feature - I couldn't disable the card only uninstall it. All my other devices in device manager can be disabled. Is this normal?]
kevin

Postby kevin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:59 am

I have stopped MP completely and left tbsviewer running for nearly 24 hours (pip) - it worked.
So the latest "evidence" is that if the card is switching a channels it will eventually freeze. This is supported by

1) using MP and an extended recording schedule the MP log shows the tuner being selected for the recordings AND for epg
2) using MP and manually changes channels it eventually freezes - it will be changing channels for EPG as well
2) with tbsviewer running and manually switching channels the tbsviwer eventually freezes

In all cases I need a reboot to unfreeze OR an uninsatall/reinstall

I am no looking for a third s/w suite to check recordings

Failing that I will turn MP EPG refreshing OFF and leave the machine playing one channel
kevin

Next

Return to Windows