Moderator Control Panel ]

tbs 6981 losing lock

tbs 6981 losing lock

Postby randompolyphony » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:27 am

Ok so I have been a windows mediacenter user for quite some time as it is the only portal through which we watch tv, movies and music. I have a Hauppage S2 satellite tuner (single) and just over a year ago i got a tbs 6981

For many many minths i have been running with one tuner as I was getting many failed recordings, disabling the tbs6981 tuners meant i lost no recordings.... but down to one tuner. I thought it was a signal strength problem and so recently changed the LNB at the dish. No change.
I thought it might be a software problem but TBS driver version 2.0.1.3 and 2.0.1.5 do exactly the same thing. So does using windows media center natively and using DVBLINK, all combinations have the same problem (which the hauppage does not get on any sat feed)

So the symptoms..... I tune a channel with my tbs tuner and it starts just fine, SD or HD (read that as dvbs and dvbs2) then after a period of time, usually under 20 seconds it freezes / stops and i have weak signal error..... btw the picture was PERFECT up until it stops.
in DVBLINK i get signal strength of 90% and quality 98% (both improved from 87 and 96ish respectively after LNB change / reallign)

I also have tried the WeakSignalDroppedThreshold regedit fix as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2708283 this does not help.

When doing a channel scan in DVBLINK it will usually pick up all the channels but when trying a channel (shows signal strength, quality, bit rate, packets received and packets lost and discontinuity errors) it will start racking up the packets recieved and then stop with continuity errors or sometimes the signal strength will drop to 0!!! but on retuning it will find it usually and repeat. The hauppage tuner can tune a channel and keep it indefinetly without any error.

Now I should have posted this over 6 months ago..... but as I have one working tuner (the old hauppage card) I have been trying to trouble shoot by myself on occasion, to no avail.

I run windows 7 64bit 3 gigs of ram, an e6600 core2duo, ssd for programs and a few large hdd for storage and an ati 5450 hamdles gfx (latest drivers and old drivers tried)

any help appreciated

.... oh i have read some people think EMI may be causing the problem.... could it be this i thought the card had some shielding for the tuner?
Last edited by randompolyphony on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
randompolyphony

Re: tbs 6981 losing lock

Postby steven » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:44 am

Hi randompolyphony

Do you mean that One Tuner is ok,the other is bad?

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Postby randompolyphony » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:47 pm

hi,
no sadly both tbs tuners do the same, if it was one i would suspect hardware fault. the other tunercard in the system works fine (old hauppage s2 single tuner)
oh and im based in uk and using a sky dish to get Freesat off 28.2e as i did not say that before
Last edited by randompolyphony on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
randompolyphony

Postby randompolyphony » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:41 am

Any ideas? Yesterday I was able to watch something on my TBS tuner (tried both ones) for 20 mins before it suddenly loses signal, which until that poin thad been over 90%
(and I don't have any birds landing on my sat dish or anything like that!)
randompolyphony

Postby randompolyphony » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:28 am

any ideas?
randompolyphony

Postby steven » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:36 am

Hi randompolyphony

From the information you give to us it is like that your card have broken,
So would you mind telling us that when and where you bought this card.

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Return to Windows