Moderator Control Panel ]

TBS6981 start with a HDTV program

TBS6981 start with a HDTV program

Postby blckcat » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi cody,

i've found another problem/error within the TBS6981 card or driver. When i start my htpc (linux , yavdr 0.2) with a HDTV-television program, the card does not respond and i get a 'no signal' picture. I relieve that by switching to a SDV program and then, the cards works. Starts with SDV-programs are always ok.

Please, can you check or prove me, that there is a start or initialize problem?

Regards

Michael
blckcat

Re: TBS6981 start with a HDTV program

Postby cody » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:08 am

hi Michael,

how to reproduce that problem with "szap-s2"? if it's not reproducible with "szap-s2" then it's not problem of the drivers. i just need to investigate it somehow and at least on the fast check i made with "szap-s2" i can't get such issue.

thank you,
cody
cody

Postby dschey » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:25 pm

Hi,

i'm using the TBS6980 with the 1.92.2 (not sure about the minor version) linux driver.
I'm using mythtv.
When starting live-tv on a HD channel or a scheduled recording on a HD channel (newly booted system), sometimes the picture is full of artifacts, hangs and is just not suitable to be viewed (don't know about the sound, i'm just in the process of setting up the system and have no sound attached yet).

I didn't use szap-s2 yet. Can you provide a little more hint, how to use it to try to reproduce this problem? Isn't this just for channel switching? Which program to use for viewing then?

Thanks
Jay
dschey

Postby Paust55 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:09 pm

@All,
Since 4 weeks I use a TBS6981 card and have the same problem with massive artefacts when I start with an HD channel. When I start with a SD channel a have this problem very rarely.
I found when I restart my VDR, not reboot th PC, then I've get no problems. This problem is only by a restart or reboot of the PC!

Could it be, that the correct order of load the different driver components are important?
When yes, could you say me the correct order?

Thanks Paul
My system: Distribution EasyVDR-08.04 with kernel-2.6.28.10, vdr-1.7.15, the actually tbs-driver "linux-s2api-tbs6980-1_20101024.rar"
Paust55

Postby cody » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:06 pm

hi Paul,

we can't reproduce the problem on our tests and so in the general case it's not related to the order of how the components are loaded. also, somewhere in the forum - (i wasn't able to find it though and it could be it was in the old forum that we lost due to database crash) one customer that initially reported such problem then reported that it seems the problem disappeared by itself, which suggests that probably something else in his Linux system changed and has affect on the problem. in any case we have many customers that are IPTV service providers and builders of embedded system all of which use exclusively Linux and none of them reported such issue. that's why i asked at the beginning of this thread is it reproducible with 'szap-s2', because if it's not then it's not TBS hardware/driver issue for sure and we should look somewhere else for the root cause.

thanks,
cody
cody

Postby Paust55 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:07 pm

Hi cody,
I think you are right.
I thought it is important to have the correct order to load all the dvb-modules for the TBS6981, because I have no issues, when I restart only my VDR.

In the meantime I found out, that I have the same issue on my second DVB-card (TT-Budget-S2-1600) in the VDR. Sometimes one of the tuner from the TBS6981 doesn't work, sometime the tuner from the TT-Budget doesn't work! :(

When I restart the VDR or I switch through some different channels, then the issue is gone! :oops:
I think I have to look to my linux system to find the issue.

Thanks for your help,
Paulaner
Paust55

Postby cody » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:56 am

hi Paulaner,

that's interesting information - it actually kind of explains why for the customer that complained from similar issue few months ago the problem disappeared by itself - probably something in his system got updated or changed, which affects what caused the issue. BTW, when the problem occurs in VDR, what happens if you stop VDR, lock the same channel with 'szap-s2' and dump the TS data steam with 'dvbsnoop':

dvbsnoop -b -s ts -tsraw > file.ts

does the 'file.ts' playable in players like 'mplayer', 'vlc', etc without artifacts. it would be good if we can collect more information about the issue - i understand it's not in the drivers since it happens with the Technotrend card too, but with more we know, it will be more clear who to ask for help, i.e. if it's VDR issue report it to VDR developers/maintainers.

regards,
cody
cody

Postby dingo35 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:22 pm

I have the same problem as reported above: after cold boot, tuning the TBS6981 tuner VDR does not give any picture when first channel tuned is encrypted HD channel. When tuned to SD-channel or non-encrypted HD-channel, picture comes, and from then tuning to any encrypted HD-channel is possible.

I have two Technotrend Budget cards and one TBS6981 card in my system; when disabling both budgetcards with the -D command-line parameter on VDR start, all goes well, so this seems to be more VDR related than driver-related.

I have tested on VDR 1.7.21, kernel 2.6.32 , latest TBS6981 drivers (version V2.0.0.21).

For me this workaround on startup of VDR works:
Code: Select All Code
#workaround: tune adapters 2 and 3 to ARTE HD so they will tune OK next time on HD encrypted channel
/usr/local/src/TBS6981_V2.0.0.21/szap-s2/szap-s2 -c /usr/local/vdr/etc/channels.conf -x -n 79 -a 2
/usr/local/src/TBS6981_V2.0.0.21/szap-s2/szap-s2 -c /usr/local/vdr/etc/channels.conf -x -n 79 -a 3

Hope this info is of use to anyone.
dingo35

Return to Linux