Moderator Control Panel ]

Good signal but cannot obtain lock

Re: Good signal but cannot obtain lock

Postby veehexx » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:52 pm

has the machine been into sleep/hibernation?
TBS/V4l doesnt like to resume from low power modes, and you have to unload the tbs drivers (modprobe -r cx23885), and reload them for the card to establish a lock.

fresh boots arent affected by this issue though.
veehexx

Postby ister » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:02 pm

@sami8519: I do not have the 6pin cable, I was informed it is only necessary if you use a rotor. In any case if the power supply is OK for connection to Port 2 I understand it is sufficient to make Port 1 work (only one port is used at a time, as I do not have a second dish yet).

@veehexx: I have installed it in a server, that never goes to hibernation, I hardly shut it down.

I have done further tests as follows:
- I installed the adaptor in a Windows 7 box, both ports can lock...
- I accessed TV Polland (random free to air channel, of Astra 19.2E, in the center of my 1.2m dish) first with port 2 and had signal quality of 73-75% and then disconnected cable from port 2 and connected it to port 1 and had signal quality of 63%.

Definitely I should have a lock in my Linux box, since the signal quality is good. Therefore I consider that there is some bug in the Linux driver.

The different signal quality between the two port is quite high, the adaptor card has quality issues.

Any suggestion is appreciated.
Regards,
ister

Postby deffcon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:32 am

He there,

I have exactly the same problem as you decribed, i have a sat tester with lcd screen so with a short cable from dish ( lnb = Canal Digitaal Duo Lnb = Astra 19.2E, Astra 23.5E ) to sat tester, signal strenth 74 %, signal quality 65 % i have a lock on Astra 19.2E or 23.5E, but with tvheadend or other scan tools ( w_scan etc etc ) with Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit with the latest drivers 18-11-11 on kernel 3.0.0-13-server. i had a former setup up and running with working channels and lock same as on sat tester,but unfortunately i didn't document anything and the hdd crashed, so nothing to go back too, i hope someone reads this and have me further becasue i checked everything from dish, lnb's, cable connector, dish moved to other spot hoping for more signal, connectors, other card ( same tbs 6981 from my dad ) nothing helped.

PS. On other device ( Dreambox ) scanned same transponder just like before with the sat tester on both both Astra 19.2E or Astra 23.5E i get good working channels with lock, so getting confused and don't know where to look anymore, anyone ?

Kind regards,

Dave
deffcon

Previous

Return to Linux