Moderator Control Panel ]

Occasional Lockups - no lock

Occasional Lockups - no lock

Postby gyre » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:30 pm

I'm running under Fedora 14. Latest drivers. Latest kernel.

Using mythtv.

Mostly, the system works fine. However, sometimes mythtv attempts to record and no bytes are actually transferred. When I then run mythfrontend I see that there is no signal lock.

If I stop mythbackend, then disconnect the USB cable and then the power supply, then re-insert the power supply and then the USB cable, everything works fine again.

I had problems like this in the past when I was scanning for channels. It wouldn't get lock on any. If I then disconnected and reconnected, it worked properly again for a while.

I also found similar problems when I was running on Windows 7 on a different pc, but I've moved the qbox across to a Linux system now, so can't test the possible windows fix supplied.

Has anybody else had their 5980 partially lock up like this?
gyre

Re: Occasional Lockups - no lock

Postby marcelru » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:30 am

Yes, mine has the same issues.

It locks up occasionally, when used with Fedora 14 x86-64. Haven't found a cure yet, apart from unplugging and plugging it back in. Can't test on windoze, never touch the stuff ...

gtz,

marcelr
marcelru

Postby gyre » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:21 pm

It just happened again. This time under Fedora 15. 32-bit version.

If I run mythfrontend, it shows me that the current TV station has no lock, and also shows 'BE 65535' on the screen. If I stop mythbackend, then remove the USB connector and power cycle the qbox, then reconnect and start up mythbackend and then mythfrontend, I find the channel now has a lock and I can start receiving the signal again.

The qbox isn't getting too hot. I have a ceramic cup on top of it that it acting as a heat sync.

I've checked dmesg, /var/log/messages and /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log. I don't see any indication of anything failing until I attempt to use the qbox.

I'm not sure how to debug this further without help. I'm using the latest linux drivers from the tbs website.

-- gyre --
gyre

Postby gyre » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:29 am

Had another lock-up. When this happens, it says the signal is 0%, no lock, and BE (whatever that is) is 65535.

Instead of rebooting the qbox, I just stopped mythbackend, then unplugged and replugged the USB cable. Then restarted mythbackend.

Now I can see a signal with mythfrontend.

Could I have some support with this issue please? The qbox gives great signal quality when working, but if it is going to keep going "off line", it is next to useless for me to use as the source for a pvr.

Thanks. :)

-- gyre --
gyre

Postby Barrasmara » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:18 am

I have lockups too. Running Ubuntu 10.04, MythTV 0.23. The system works from a fresh boot up of the computer but stops fairly soon after that. I can't see anything going wrong with MythTV.
Barrasmara

Is it gone with 3.0 kernel driver ?

Postby recoder » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:20 am

I am having the same problem (lock ups, signal % 0) does anybody know if the lockups are gone with the new driver for 3.0s ?
recoder

Postby johanr » Fri May 17, 2013 5:32 am

just bought the qbox and having the same issue running 1004 lts. Problem for me is that I cannot upgrade my Ubuntu to latest version since it is dependant on LMCE..
In case that would help me?

This seem to be related to the box itself or?
Or.. is this qbox not supported at All in the previus kernels pre 3.x

-johan
johanr

Return to Linux