Moderator Control Panel ]

Stream corruption when viewing multiple channels on TBS6984

Stream corruption when viewing multiple channels on TBS6984

Postby TankSlappa » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi,

I'm having a problem with a TBS6984 card. I have four feeds connected to a Quattro LNB via a multiswitch (this configuration is not new and has been working perfectly with other tuners).

In Windows 7 64bit I can tune all 4 inputs with DvbDream and watch/record channels one at a time.

If I run multiple copies of DvbDream to tune up multiple channels the streams start corrupting. Running one or two seem perfect, as soon as the third or fourth is added the stream on all four transponders starts dropping packets and breaking up. CPU and memory usage does not look excessive. The i3 I'm using has 2 cores (+2 hyper threading) and although I see load on the two genuine cores, I have never seen it above 60%. The hyperthread cores receive very little loading.

I originally experienced this problem in Linux, but decided to check it out in Windows too just to see if it was driver or hardware related. I looks like hardware. Unfortunately your forum is divided into the two camps and I had to pick one, so I decided to pick on the Windows brains today :-)

I've tested with two TBS6984 cards, and also tried this card in another PC under Linux and it doesn't have a problem supplying four streams there.

Are there any compatibility issues with certain motherboards?

The Windows 7 machine is a DFI PT630 motherboard with 4 gig DDR3 and an i3 540 (3.07 Ghz).

The TBS6984 has been tried in multiple slots (x1 and x4), and is the only device plugged into the PCIe expansion ports. I have tested the slots with three of your 6280 Dual T2 cards and have no problem.
I've tried two different PSUs, and the TBS6984 has had the extra PCIe power connected at all times.
In Windows I'm using the latest 1.0.2.3 drivers, and in Linux the latest v120827 and the previous (I believe) V1206xx

Any ideas?
TankSlappa

Re: Stream corruption when viewing multiple channels on TBS6

Postby steven » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:26 am

Hi TankSlappa

>I've tested with two TBS6984 cards, and also tried this card in another PC under Linux and it doesn't have a problem supplying four streams there.
Do you mean that in other PC TBS6984 is ok? this is very important .

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Postby TankSlappa » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:41 pm

Yes. I have tried several TBS6984 cards in the DFI PT630 motherboard and they all show the same problem. Tune a single transponder up and it looks good. Tune up all 4 and you start to get corruption in the stream.

I then placed the same cards into another machine running the same windows version and TBS6984 drivers (MSI board with an i5 CPU) and it works fine. At one point I even had two cards TBS6984 cards in Windows 7 in the MSI board machine and recorded from 8 channels without a problem. Take one of those cards and place it in the DFI PT630 motherboard and the problem is there again.

So there is certainly some hardware incompatibility here.
TankSlappa

Postby TankSlappa » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:09 pm

I have just received a new motherboard to test. DFI CL630-CRM. I installed 4 gig of DDR3 and an i5-2400 CPU.
Installed Windows 7 64bit. No cards appear at all! I've tried your Quad S, Dual S and Dual T PCIe cards we have here.
I tried a PCIe graphics card and that works fine.

In Linux LSPCI shows nothing at all. It is like the cards aren't physically there!

Do you know the minimum and maximum PCIe versions your cards work with?
TankSlappa

Postby steven » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:50 am

Hi TankSlappa

TBS6984 use PCI-E 1.0a, Intel will have a BIOS update later to compatible PCI-E 1.0a,You can send
your detail information to let DFI support PCI-E 1.0a.

and you said that
I then placed the same cards into another machine running the same windows version and TBS6984 drivers (MSI board with an i5 CPU) and it works fine. At one point I even had two cards TBS6984 cards in Windows 7 in the MSI board machine and recorded from 8 channels without a problem. Take one of those cards and place it in the DFI PT630 motherboard and the problem is there again.
your MSI board is ok.
Would you mind telling us your motherboard's detail information.
So we can have a check.

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Postby TankSlappa » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:50 pm

The DFI board which showed no cards is DFI CL630-CRM

The MSI board that showed the cards is H61M-E23

In all cases where I have had the bios option I have set it to GEN1.

The MSI board works, but it just doesn't have enough slots (3 PCI-e, 1 PCI). We need to find a reliable source of boards that will run your cards or we will have to buy different cards.

Ideally we would like 4 PCI-e and 3 PCI on the board as a minimum.

We have just got a GA-P61A-D3 board in for testing (H61 chipset the same as the successful MSI board), and TBS cards just don't appear with either the F7 bios it came with, or the latest F9 from their website.

So even sticking to chipset we have seen work doesn't guarantee success.

It's a total lottery!
TankSlappa

Postby steven » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:03 am

Hi TankSlappa

Would you mind having a try like this:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8049

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Postby TankSlappa » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:51 pm

TankSlappa Wrote:In all cases where I have had the bios option I have set it to GEN1.

Tried that already.

Do you not have a list on known working boards?
TankSlappa

Postby steven » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:20 am

Hi TankSlappa

We have not listed the know working boards,and this problem it is like only happened with the new motherbroad,
Before use the new motherbroad you can ask them whether have supported PCI-E 1.0a, This problem can be fixed
by updated the BIOS,if the motherbroad can fix the PCI-E 1.0a compatible problem.

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Return to Windows