Moderator Control Panel ]

Is it possible to speed up szap's signal strength output?

Is it possible to speed up szap's signal strength output?

Postby Tal » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:54 am

Hey guys.

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert on DVB, or satellite technology in general, but I've been assigned to figure out how to get a TBS5925 to work with a linux box at work.
All we're really using it for is for auto-pointing satellite dishes, so we don't really need to have a video or audio stream decoded - we just need to know if we are pointed at our particular satellite, and what the signal strength looks like.

I was able to get it to work with your help - I now get a signal value and an SNR value, which is awesome.
The problem I'm having now is this: szap can only display a value for signal and snr roughly ever 0.5 seconds, which is not very quick.
My boss wants it to be as fast as possible so that our auto-pointing dishes don't have to move extremely slowly, waiting for szap to update the signal strength values.
Is it possible to disable the decoder so that all we get is the signal value? In theory, this should give us a much faster result, right?

Would this require modification to the szap source code? To the kernel? Or is this already an existing feature?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Tal

Re: Is it possible to speed up szap's signal strength output

Postby Tal » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:33 am

I've been digging into szap code to figure out exactly how it interacts with the kernel, but it's very slow going.
This is still something I need to get done.
Any advice? Anyone?
Tal

Return to Linux