Moderator Control Panel ]

Installing on Slackware64

Installing on Slackware64

Postby lloydsmart » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:16 am

Hello,

I've been trying all day to install your drivers, without success I'm afraid.

I'm using a slackware 64-bit system, with linux 2.6.37.6.

I can re-compile the linux kernel if necessary, in fact I have done many times but to no avail.

The card I'm trying to use is the TBS 6920, and I'd like to use it with TVHeadend (or possibly VDR).

How can I tell if the correct kernel modules have compiled and been installed properly? Also, what other options should be enabled in the kernel compile? When I try to enable the required modules, I get errors like:
Code: Select All Code
FATAL: Error inserting dvb_core (/lib/modules/2.6.37.6-unRAID/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dvb-core.ko): Invalid module format

By the way - I'm not installing this on an actual unRAID system, as the above snippet might imply. It's actually a full slackware install but with unraid software installed on top of that. There is one modification to the kernel md driver from unraid which is why it is named differently.

I've been pulling my hair out over this for ages now, so if anyone could give me some clue as to the correct way to do this, I'd be extremely grateful.

Just to clarify: it's slackware64-13.1. I'm not running X so this is all at the console (actually I'm doing most of it via ssh), and it's kernel 2.6.37.6.

PLEASE HELP! :shock:
lloydsmart

Re: Installing on Slackware64

Postby marcelru » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:50 am

Hi lloydsmart,

I have built my modules (for a TBS5980) for both x86_64 and ARM. When I mix them up, I get the same error messages, so maybe something's wrong with architecture detection in your distro?

Could you test the following (in v4l subdir):

file dvb-core.ko

It should render something like:

$ file dvb-core.ko
dvb-core.ko: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

And otherwise (just a wild guess)

FATAL: Error inserting dvb_core (/lib/modules/2.6.37.6-unRAID/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dvb-core.ko): Invalid module format
What's the underscore doing there? Shouldn't that be a '-' rather than a '_'?

HTH,

marcelr
marcelru

Re: Installing on Slackware64

Postby lloydsmart » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:05 pm

Hello again.

Just to let you know, I got this working (finally!)

I didn't have any luck with the kernel I was on, had to upgrade to 2.6.38.8 (which made compiling the unraid drivers very difficult btw, but I got there).

I also discovered that the drivers required for my tv card were disabled in the config by default, and that to get them to compile, a simple 'make' command won't cut it. I had to do 'make menuconfig' from the tbs drivers directory and enable support for the cx23885 manually. Then make, make install and reboot sorted the problem.

Thanks for you suggestions. They were helpful nonetheless.
lloydsmart

Return to Linux