Moderator Control Panel ]

TBS2951 Update Failure

It's important to keep your driver and software updated.

TBS2951 Update Failure

Postby Bezzoh » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:09 pm

Hi all. I'm having a problem with a TBS2951. I made the mistake of thinking I could do a package update on CentOS and it simply killed the driver for the DVB card and I ended up re-flashing the unit with the 2.0.0.4 installer.

Subsequently the web updater (2.0.0.6) simply won't work. No matter what computer I perform this from, or what browser I use it simply sticks at 9% and never completes the update. Has anybody experienced this before and can suggest a workaround, or is there a means to do this from the CLI instead?

My long-term problem is the security vulnerabilities in CentOS 7 and the drivers/packages installed on this unit. If anyone has any guidance of how I might instead overwrite the unit with a modern Linux OS and then install the TBS platform (or similar) and drivers that would be even better. I just need to be able to scan channels and then broadcast over UDP, none of the other features offered by the platform.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions people may offer!
Bezzoh

Re: TBS2951 Update Failure

Postby zhangchao » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:30 am

hi,

sticks at 9% and never completes the update , i will check with anydesk .
please add skype jack_2431 . we can talk more detail in skype .

best regards!
zhangchao

Postby Bezzoh » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:14 pm

Thank you. I have added you on Skype and hope you might be able to help.
Bezzoh

Postby Bezzoh » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:57 pm

Actually, I'm good now. I followed these instructions, however adjusting to pull down 2.0.0.6 to /tmp and installed from the command line.

viewtopic.php?f=174&t=9822

I would still be interested however if I could install this and the DVB card from the TBS2951 onto something else with a newer Ubuntu OS perhaps?!
Bezzoh

Postby Delta » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:37 pm

Bezzoh Wrote:Actually, I'm good now. I followed these instructions, however adjusting to pull down 2.0.0.6 to /tmp and installed from the command line.

viewtopic.php?f=174&t=9822

I would still be interested however if I could install this and the DVB card from the TBS2951 onto something else with a newer Ubuntu OS perhaps?!

You may have heard that cloud computing solutions are divided into IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS according to different service levels. With traditional on-premise IT infrastructure service providers like TBS, the products are also offered into different service levels.

We can basically divide TBS products into two categories: Hardware offers that similar to the cloud computing concept of infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS), and Solution offers that similar to the cloud computing concept of software-as-a-service (SaaS). The former provides you with the essential "infrastructure" that processes the data, while the latter integrates environmental factors to provide you with directly accessible applications.

For most USB/PCI-e TBS products, they are classified as the former concept. You put the "Hardware" infrastructure offered by TBS on top of your own infrastructure to run your software and to build your application. However, TBS2951 is offered as an integrated "Solution" device that provides plug-and-play experience with directly usable application working on dedicated hardware and software. Despite this, as a property you own, it should be your basic right to have full control over it and select from various applications. Therefore, TBS may allow its root access, but this does not mean that the product nature changes accordingly.

In simple terms, the operating system is part of the product you have purchased. As a complete solution offered to you, both the operating system and user applications are customized to the hardware, and the proper functioning of the device is based on dependencies between them.

At the same time, I do understand your concerns. On the one hand, you may wish to run your own applications on the device that might require an updated runtime environment. However, as I mentioned above, TBS2951 is offered as a whole solution instead of a basic hardware infrastructure. You should only use this equipment for its intended work. On the other hand, you may be concerned about system and network security issues. You are correct, but the device is not intended to connect to the wide area network without proper traffic filters.

In theory, it is possible to replace the operating system. Because the essence of the device is simply an embedded computer. You just have to do all the adaptation work like what TBS did with its built-in operating system. However, you did choose this product as your hassle-free solution precisely to save your time and energy. If you really need the full customization process, why not build a PC/rack server yourself? This can really make your life easier.

In that case, my suggestion for you is that you can install the PCI-e cards into a self-assembled desktop computer or rack server, then install a recent LTS operating system (such as Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.2 or Ubuntu 22.04) with manual installation of required open source drivers and needed software applications. You can follow my RHEL 9.2 driver installation guide for an easy start. It is the latest stable "CentOS" release.
Delta

Return to Driver & Software Update