Moderator Control Panel ]

Getting started with TBS6985 - just placed the order

Getting started with TBS6985 - just placed the order

Postby gmtandi » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:40 am

Hello,

I was looking everywhere for info about how to get started on DVB cards, and didn't found any useful wiki, tutorial, guide on what should be an optimal setup. So then i'm here to ask few basic things, expecting to answer my basic doubts about an TBS 6985 setup.

I had placed my order, and will receive the card soon, anyways, i'm preparing my antennas, lnb, coax cables, and would like to prepare the machine to place the card.

I would like to use the card for streaming IPTV, i don't know what software (preferably open-source) i will use to reach the goal.

The machine i'm in mind to use with this card have the following specs:
Intel Core I3 3240
Asus P8H77-M
16GB RAM(1600mhz)

Well, I would like to stream as much channels as possible with this machine, how many channels would be possible? is streaming a CPU intensive task?

Wich is the best OS/Software setup for iptv streaming? i'm in mind CentOS Linux. I don't know what software to use with that setup, but i'm in mind something like tvheadend, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks and best regards
:D
gmtandi

Re: Getting started with TBS6985 - just placed the order

Postby updatelee » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:54 pm

streaming an entire transponder isnt cpu intensive, transcoding can be, but just leaving it in its original codec means almost no processing. Its impossible to say what transponders your looking at, so how many channels is upto you. But its a quad tuner, so 4 transponders x how many channels are on each transponder. Just keep in mind the bandwidth of each transponder, add them up and ensure you have the network bandwidth for that. ie streaming 4x50Mbit tp over 100Mbit ethernet obv wont work.

UDL
TBS6925/5980, Prof 7301/7500/8000, Genpix Skywalker-1, Skystar 2 Express HD
Hauppauge 950Q, Kworld 330U/435v3/445v3
Dreambox 800

I use Linux and support open source projects.
updatelee

Postby gmtandi » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:34 am

Aweasome, i'll take a look, which linux distribution do u recommends me? i was in mind something like CentOS(RH Based), but most things i find are for Ubuntu :/

updatelee Wrote:streaming an entire transponder isnt cpu intensive, transcoding can be, but just leaving it in its original codec means almost no processing. Its impossible to say what transponders your looking at, so how many channels is upto you. But its a quad tuner, so 4 transponders x how many channels are on each transponder. Just keep in mind the bandwidth of each transponder, add them up and ensure you have the network bandwidth for that. ie streaming 4x50Mbit tp over 100Mbit ethernet obv wont work.

UDL

Thanks for the information, i'm still waiting for the card arrival to test it, anyways, any information will be useful.

I'll be using in my LAN(server have 2x Gigabit cards, and all the switches are Gigabit) so bandwidth is not the problem. If it is possible to stream using original codecs i won't change the codec. Anyways all the channels are coded using Nagravision3. I'll be using Smargo Card Reader with OSCam to decode(as i never worked with that, i'm pretty unsure about how will it work, but i think it should work, maybe i'll need more readers/cards)

I know that there are few TP with almost 20 channels(SD), is it possible? the 6985 specs says it's possible maximum of 48 channels with a single card(4 tunners), also, it's possible to record the whole Transponder Stream, so i'm unsure if it is not possible to receive more than 48 channels

SD Channels are Mpeg2 and HD H264, is it fine? i'm in mind to buy a few "Android" IPTV boxes and make an app to switch between channels, and view EPG inside the LAN

Thanks, and best regards
gmtandi

Postby updatelee » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:27 pm

The number of channels is not the limiting factor. The bandwidth is. I don't know why they list 48 channels as a max when there is no limit.

UDL
TBS6925/5980, Prof 7301/7500/8000, Genpix Skywalker-1, Skystar 2 Express HD
Hauppauge 950Q, Kworld 330U/435v3/445v3
Dreambox 800

I use Linux and support open source projects.
updatelee

Return to Linux