Moderator Control Panel ]

Dip Switch Positions

Dip Switch Positions

Postby SinOjos » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:08 pm

Since no documentation came with the device, and cannot find anything online, or in this forum. I am assuming the dip switch is for selecting boot device, as there are old forum posts alluding to future releases having a switch to select boot device. Nice add on, but without documentation, useless.

Current settings new out of the box booting from emmc.
1 on
2 on
3 on
4 off
5 off
6 on
7 on
8 off

It would be nice if someone from TBSDTV could list which switch positions boot from which device. I am primarily interested in booting from the SATA.
SinOjos

Re: Dip Switch Positions

Postby vpeter » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:12 pm

Page 13 could help you: http://www.tbsdtv.com/download/document ... rev2.1.pdf
Don't have rev2.1 board so can't test and confirm.
You can help me buy new work notebook with paypal donation, after 8 years it's time to upgrade.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=FLVT7ACMYAPS6
vpeter

Re: Dip Switch Positions

Postby SinOjos » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:34 am

Thank you.

I am on the freescale website right now, signed up to get all the hardware details. One thing I have noticed right off, is that it is NOT sata 3 as claimed on the TBS website. It is sata 2. I have cross checked a number of the hardware spec data sheets, featured documentation and fact sheets. You need to signup to get all the details, but the page on the i.MX 6Quad Processors, has a drop down on the bottom of the page, here is the link, scroll down and look for i.MX6Q.

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/sit ... staticFile

I am also reviewing the source code of the matrixtv for matrix v21 operating system. I am not ready to make many comments at this time, but there are some security concerns. One thing I will state at this time, is that TBS needs to provide proper documentation advising it's customers in how to secure access to the device.

As most of you well know, TBS is not very good at providing documentation. With all the rush to get Arm devices on the market, by all manufactures/developers/distributors, a lot of things are being left out, while consumers are left completely unaware. Most common consumers are not familiar with the cli, and if not directly informed to take certain action, they will do nothing. They simply do not know what the do not know.

While manufactures/developers/distributors , have a duty to take action on basic security measures. Currently many recently released embedded device software, lack even the most basic security measures, while the devices are networked to the internet.

Every single security group, has been writing about lack of security with embedded devices, embedded devices have contributed to compromising home and business networks, while also spamming email and spreading worms/virus's or in Linux terms, rootkits.

Some of the code being used in some embedded devices is old from defunct projects, which were originally written for devices that may have never have intended to have internet access. While some younger/newer developers picking up and using this old code, are inexperienced with Linux, and do not fully understand security implications. I have found this to be true, with a large portion of various flavors of Linux available for Arm devices. One must remember, that the Arm processor was started in the early 80's, and has a very interesting history, Unix, Linux, RISC OS, were around long before Windblows.
SinOjos

Return to General discussion